State of Adamant, 2012
In short, 2012 was Adamant’s worst year. There were many reasons for this, both professional and personal, which I won’t be going into publicly. Divulging some of the professional reasons would require me to speak ill of others, a meaningless exercise which will not change the circumstances; and the personal reasons are, frankly, nobody’s business. Regardless of the nature of the causes, as owner and director of the company, I bear the final responsibility for our failings — and the sole responsibility for rebuilding the faith in our brand that we squandered this year.
Our biggest issue, of course, was delays. With that in mind, I’d like to give you a rundown on where things stand with our delayed products:
- WARLORDS OF THE APOCALYPSE: We have transferred ownership of this property to Super Genius Games, who are far better able to do it justice. They will be honoring the existing pre-orders, and are sure to produce a brilliant game of post-apocalyptic science fantasy.
- ICONS TEAM-UP: Earlier this year, ICONS designer Steve Kenson exercised his contractual right to bring our involvement in ICONS to a close, and take it under his new imprint, Ad Infinitum Adventures. In fact, their first release, With Great Power, is currently in the final three days of its Kickstarter fundraiser, and looks stellar!
Adamant’s final ICONS core release, ICONS TEAM-UP, is massively late, and will be delivered within a week of this post. I wanted to give a brief explanation of the reason for part of this delay: When we parted ways with a team member earlier this year, a shared folder (on Dropbox) was deleted — unfortunately it was one being *hosted* by this person, and so when Dropbox synced, it deleted the folder on my machine as well. This folder contained the project files, including the nearly-completed layout. Since that time, I’ve been rebuilding it, using the copies of the artwork that I still had in another location from when (ICONS Line Artist) Dan Houser had sent them to me, copies of Steve’s portion of the manuscript that he had emailed to me, and (this has been the time-consuming part) re-writing my material from scratch, since the manuscript had been in that folder. So yes, slow-going…. especially on top of the earlier delays. I’m far from proud of this, and will be doing my best to make it up to pre-order customers in the coming year, with free copies of our additional ICONS-compatible releases through 2013. (More on that later — we’ll announce after releasing TEAM-UP.)
- BUCKAROO BANZAI: The main failing here was in my own beginner status in managing a licensed product. I failed to take into account those portions of the production schedule that lay outside of our control. The upshot of this is: We’re in approvals, and we’ll be releasing immediately upon receiving the final thumbs-up. I’m estimating that we should be shipping in the first quarter.
- TALES OF NEW CROBUZON: This isn’t something we started pre-orders on, but it something that many of you have been waiting for since 2008/2009 — and the lesson here is that I need to keep quiet about licenses, even ones that I’m thrilled about, until we’re further along in the process. It will be released in the latter half of 2013.
- FAR WEST: I’ve been keeping our backers up to date on our progress (the most recent update can be found here.), and have already released other products in the line (fiction, etc.) — but the Adventure Game will be released in the first quarter of 2013, followed by many other products. Currently underway are adventures, sourcebooks, more fiction, and a card game — with more in the early stages of development.
So there you go. That’s the status of the things that are late. We’ve got other things underway as well, but if I learned any lessons in 2012, perhaps “keep quiet until the project is ready to release” is one of the bigger ones. Watch this space for more news.
I realize that we’ve done damage to the good faith we’d built up since 2003. For some of you, perhaps the damage is irreparable. I will still spend our tenth anniversary year (and beyond) doing my level best to make Adamant worthy of your custom again. If there is anything specific that we can do to make things right by you, please don’t hesitate to let us know — drop a comment below, or if you prefer, send me a private email.
May the new year be a happy one for you and yours.
31st December, 2012